Posted on 29 Apr, 2020 by Jocelyne Bia
MEMBER PRESS RELEASE - Marchwood Scientific Services joins the Cawood Scientific Group
On March 17th 2020, the independent, privately owned laboratory, Marchwood Scientific Services became part of the Cawood Scientific Group. “Marchwood has long been a trusted outsourcing partner of ours” stated Simon Parrington, Cawood Scientific’s Managing Director. “The purchase is in line with our business strategy to grow the business by finding like-minded operations where the emphasis is on both excellent customer service and quality of results. The synergies of both services and highly experienced staff will significantly enhance our opportunities to serve our customers”. Operating from three sites across the UK, Marchwood is highly regarded in the renewables sector for a number of specialities, but in particular as the UK’s leading dioxin analysis laboratory. The inclusion of Marchwood in the group adds an extra dimension to what is already the UK’s largest independent, one-stop-shop for land-based analytical testing services.
Marchwood directors, Karl Pettit and John Fursman are extremely pleased to be joining Cawood and in particular for the future of Marchwood as part of the Cawood Group. Karl Pettit, Director of Marchwood, stated ‘We are really pleased to be part of the Cawood Group, we all know how extremely challenging the current business environment is and I want to commend all parties on working together to get this deal done. The acquisition will enable Marchwood to expand the services available to current customers and as a group we can build upon our collective strengths to further cement our status as leading independent laboratories’. Karl and John will continue to be involved in the management of the business and are keen to point out that it will business as usual for the foreseeable future. The laboratory will operate as normal with the same people and the same high degree of customer service.
Cawood Scientific is the UK’s largest, truly independent provider of accredited analytical testing services for the land-based sector. Going forward, being part of a bigger group will allow both Cawood Scientific and Marchwood the ability to offer customers a wider range of specialist analytical services. The expansion of Cawood’s capabilities will also reduce the necessity to outsource outside of the group, providing an assurance to customers they are receiving the high level of service quality they have come to associate with the Group.
From the newly expanded Cawood Scientific group, we look forward to continuing to provide customers with the quality of services they have come to expect, and we for one, are very excited about the future of the Group with Marchwood Scientific Services contributing to and strengthening the service.
Cawood Scientific Ltd
Coopers Bridge, Braziers Lane, Bracknell Berkshire RG42 6NS
Tel: 01344 886 338
- Marchwood Scientific Services
Established in 1983, Marchwood Scientific Services Ltd (MSS) offers a range of services for the environmental and food/feed sectors, and is the UK’s leading dioxin analysis laboratory, and more recently has become the main centre for occupational hygiene testing. Today the company has three laboratories, two in Southampton (Millbrook and Marchwood) and one in Manchester (Worsley) with a focus on Toxic Chemical, Water & Soil Analysis involving Dioxin | Waste Renewal | Air Samples | Food/Feed Testing.
- The Millbrook laboratory incorporates a state-of-the art dioxin analysis facility including 5 High Resolution Mass Spectrometers. The laboratory is also well-equipped with modern GCMSMS, LCMSMS and TOF mass spectrometers providing a range of low-level analysis for environmental and food/feed samples.
- The Marchwood laboratory specialises in dioxin analysis services for the renewable energy sector including SRF/RDF, Biomass and ash/residues.
- In Manchester an air sample analysis facility has been established offering a comprehensive package of services to measure levels of dioxin
The business works hard to constantly improve its services with staying up to date with new and fast - moving dioxin testing technologies to increase its capabilities and ensure efficiency is maintained throughout.
Cawood Scientific is the UK’s largest independent provider of analytical laboratory testing services for the ‘land-based’ industries. It operates through six divisions, NRM Laboratories (in Berkshire and Norfolk), Sciantec Analytical (in Yorkshire), Sci-Tech Laboratories (in Shropshire), Sci-Tech (Ireland) (in Northern Ireland), Mambo-Tox (in Hampshire) and Enitial (in Wolverhampton). Together they provide a ‘one-stop-shop’ for the wide range of testing services that businesses engaged in the agricultural, horticultural, amenity and environmental sectors require.
- NRM Laboratories was established in 1990 (from ICI Jealott’s Hill complex in Berkshire), today with over 80 staff NRM has the analytical ability to assess, quantify, evaluate and appraise all aspects of water, soil, manures, fertilisers and plant tissue as well as the inputs and outputs associated with plant growth. This, combined with expertise in land-based environmental services such as composted waste, anaerobic digestate, effluents and industrial renewables makes NRM the UK’s foremost independent and accredited analytical laboratory in the land-based sector.
- Sciantec Analytical was established in 1991 and has developed as a successful, independent and fully accredited laboratory business, offering a specialised analytical testing service to the animal feed and animal health sectors. Operating from modern purpose built facilities at Cawood near York, Sciantec is focussed on with high quality service on providing a comprehensive range of analytical suites to meet its customer’s requirements.
- Sci-Tech Laboratories was established in 1992 as an independent veterinary diagnostic business with the ability to provide high quality, accredited microbiological and serological analytical testing services across all aspects of poultry (including bird production and routine hatchery and factory and hygiene monitoring) and porcine production.
- Sci-Tech (Ireland) based at Dungannon, County Tyrone, this business is a relatively new Avian Serology Laboratory which opened in August 2011 and offers a valuable support service to poultry vets and poultry producers across the UK and Ireland with a range of services including avian serology, PCR and water testing.
- Enitial is a leading independent provider of emission and pollution monitoring, control and management services located throughout the UK. Its environmental monitoring and sampling activities cover gas, landfill gas, surface water level, flow and quality, groundwater level, recharge and quality, noise, air quality, soil contamination and effluent.
- Mambo-Tox was established in 1984 at Southampton University Science Park as a contract research organisation specialising in terrestrial ecotoxicology studies (principally involving non-target arthropods, honeybees and soil invertebrates) and also undertakes a wide range of specialist studies to evaluate the efficacy of agrochemical and biocide products.
Members' press release