World Biogas Summit 2020 stellar line-up of speakers highlights the growing recognition of the role of biogas in achieving Net Zero.
In only its second year, the annual World Biogas Summit organised by the World Biogas Association (WBA) in partnership with the UK Anaerobic Digestion and Bioresources Association (ADBA), has gathered an impressive line-up of speakers for the 2020 event – bearing testimony to the growing recognition of the huge role biogas will need to play if the world is to develop a zero carbon, sustainable global circular economy.
The three-day conference, which will take place online from 6th until 8th October 2020, will welcome representatives from, among others, the UK Committee on Climate Change, the International Energy Agency, the World Bank, the Global Methane Initiative, the UN’s Climate Technology and Climate Network, SHV Energy, Greenlane Biogas, Gaz Reseau Distribution France, the UN Convention to Combat Desertification, Zero Waste Europe, the International Solid Waste Association, the Canadian, American, South African and European biogas associations. Also joining the proceedings will be the former Agriculture Minister of France under President Francois Hollande, Stéphane Le Foll.
Headlining the Summit with keynote addresses will be:
Lord Deben, Chairman of the UK Committee on Climate Change
Keisude Sadamori, Director for Energy Markets and Security, International Energy Agency (IEA)
Stéphane Le Foll, Former French Agriculture Minister and now Mayor of Le Mans
Bram Graber, CEO, SHV Energy
Key speakers over the three days will also include:
Edouard Sauvage, CEO, Gaz Réseau de France (GRDF)
Ricardo Cepeda Márquez and Kathrin Zeller, C40 Cities Climate Leadership Group
Mark Sadler, Practice Manager, the World Bank
Camilla Nordheim-Larsen, Programme Manager, UNCCD
Tomoo Machiba, Deputy Director, CTCN
Enzo Favoino, Scientific Coordinator, Zero Waste Europe
Brad Douville, President and CEO, Greenlane Biogas
Marco Ricci-Jürgensen, Chair, ISWA’s Working Group on Biological Treatment of Waste
Jonathan Bonadio, Policy Officer for Renewables, Climate and Grids, European Environment Bureau
Patrick Serfass, Executive Director, American Biogas Council
Jennifer Green, Executive Director, Canadian Biogas Association
Susanna Pflüger, Secretary General, European Biogas Association
Alberto Borello, Secretary General, South African Biogas Association
The 2020 Summit will also provide a preview of WBA’s next major report Biogas – The Roadmap to 2030, which will establish what needs to happen if the industry is to deliver its full potential over the next decade, including a 12% reduction in global emissions by 2030, and discuss how the industry can best:
- contribute to achieving Net Zero,
- help restore soil health,
- underpin city projects for low carbon urban development.
Another crucial topic will be how to finance the growth of the AD and biogas sector to fulfill this huge potential.
“We will be honoured to welcome such a calibre of speakers to what is only our second World Biogas Summit“, said WBA President David Newman. “This follows from the success of the WBA’s World Biogas eFestival in May which also saw key players in both the political and business arena contribute their experience and expertise. Ahead of publishing our report on the roadmap that we need to follow to achieve the industry’s potential to reduce global GHG reductions by 12% by 2030, creating 12-15 million new green jobs in the process, their insights will be particularly opportune.”
Charlotte Morton, ADBA Chief Executive, added: “The line-up of such eminent speakers demonstrates the growing recognition of the significant role biogas has to play in the development of a global green economy, especially in the wake of the Covid-19 outbreak. We are very excited about this year’s Summit and look forward to hearing the views of these influential figures on such important topics as climate change, sustainable urban development, soil health and how to finance the establishment of a prosperous, Net Zero world.”
– ENDS –
For further information, contact:
Jocelyne Bia, Senior Communications Consultant
e: firstname.lastname@example.org ; tel: +44 (0)7910 878510
Notes to editors:
- The World Biogas Summit 2020 will run in parallel with the World Biogas Expo 2020 in an interconnected, online programme, featuring companies presenting their technologies and services and dedicated sessions providing expert insights into policy, technical and operational aspects of the industry.
- Launched at COP22 in Marrakesh in 2016, the World Biogas Association is the global trade association for the biogas, landfill gas and anaerobic digestion (AD) sectors, and is dedicated to facilitating the adoption of biogas globally. It believes that the global adoption of biogas technologies is a multi-faceted opportunity to produce clean, renewable energy while resolving global issues related to development, public health and economic growth. www.worldbiogasassociation.org @wbatweets
- The Anaerobic Digestion and Bioresources Association (ADBA) is the trade association for the UK anaerobic digestion (AD) and biogas industry. ADBA’s vision is to see the full potential of the UK AD industry realised so it can help the UK achieve its emissions targets and other policy goals, creating a truly circular economy. www.adbioresources.org @adbioresources