MEMBER PRESS RELEASE – Leadership Changes as Cawood Scientific prepares for further growth
The UK’s largest independent provider of analysis to the land-based sector, Cawood Scientific Ltd (Cawood), is delighted to announce the appointment of Simon Parrington as Managing Director and Jez Smith as Technical and Operations Director.
Simon Parrington (pictured left) brings with him over two decades of industry experience. Joining us from SOYL, where he has been for the last 24 years, he brings a wealth of knowledge in precision farming techniques. Simon was fundamental in establishing SOYL as the leading precision farming business both in the UK and more recently in Europe, he has a profound understanding of the use of data and technology on farm, as well as agronomy and soil health.
Jez Smith’s career spans more than 26 years within the analytical laboratory sector and has held senior leadership roles throughout the UK and Scotland in a number of highly regarded laboratories leading cross functional teams in a range of lab-based testing services. His knowledge and expertise in all aspects of laboratory operations will further assist the development of the Cawood Group.
Simon states “Cawood has a deserved reputation as the leading analytical laboratory in land-based industries. We have a tremendous opportunity to innovate, grow further and diversify into new sectors, bringing our strong business values to match the demands and high expectations of our customers. Cawood’s values and service are facets I have respected as a customer over many years, and I am excited to be on board and part of the great team that will take these to the next level.”
Simon and Jez will lead delivery of the company's growth goals as well as building on the outstanding reputation for service to Cawood’s customers. They will succeed Nigel Patrick and Linda Radnor who are both stepping down from their day to day duties, but will remain involved with the business, working with Cawood’s Chairman, Lord Donald Curry on the strategic direction of Cawood Scientific. Both Nigel and Linda have been with Cawood for over two decades and have been central in developing Cawood into the market leading company it is today. During their tenure, they have overseen the growth of Cawood from its original Berkshire based NRM business into an accomplished UK wide business employing over 420 staff, analysing over 1.5million samples each year in seven divisions across ten sites.
Lord Curry (pictured right) commented “I have enjoyed a special and close working relationship with both Nigel and Linda further strengthened by our passion for the agricultural industry. One of their many strengths is the understanding and latitude when faced with the unpredictability of the agricultural world which has allowed Cawood to flourish. Nigel and Linda’s commitment and dedication to Cawood has helped to ensure that they leave the organisation in a resilient position to face the future and I look forward to working with them, together with Simon and Jez on the next chapter of the Cawood business. This is an exciting moment for Cawood Scientific and I am sure the new team will build on its current successful foundations”.
For further information please contact:
Victoria Birdsey, Marketing Manager Tel: 01344 886338
- Contact details
Cawood Scientific Ltd, Coopers Bridge, Braziers Lane, Bracknell Berkshire RG42 6NS; Tel: 01344 886 338 , www.cawoodscientific.uk.com
- Cawood Scientific is the UK’s largest independent provider of analytical laboratory testing services for the ‘land-based’ industries. It operates through six divisions, NRM Laboratories (in Berkshire and Norfolk), Sciantec Analytical (in Yorkshire), Sci-Tech Laboratories (in Shropshire), Sci-Tech (Ireland) (in Northern Ireland), Mambo-Tox (in Hampshire) and Enitial (in Wolverhampton). Together they provide a ‘one-stop-shop’ for the wide range of testing services that businesses engaged in the agricultural, horticultural, amenity and environmental sectors require.
– NRM Laboratories was established in 1990 (from ICI Jealott’s Hill complex in Berkshire), today with over 80 staff NRM has the analytical ability to assess, quantify, evaluate and appraise all aspects of water, soil, manures, fertilisers and plant tissue as well as the inputs and outputs associated with plant growth. This, combined with expertise in land-based environmental services such as composted waste, anaerobic digestate, effluents and industrial renewables makes NRM the UK’s foremost independent and accredited analytical laboratory in the land-based sector.
– Sciantec Analytical was established in 1991 and has developed as a successful, independent and fully accredited laboratory business, offering a specialised analytical testing service to the animal feed and animal health sectors. Operating from modern purpose built facilities at Cawood near York, Sciantec is focussed on with high quality service on providing a comprehensive range of analytical suites to meet its customer’s requirements.
– Sci-Tech Laboratories was established in 1992 as an independent veterinary diagnostic business with the ability to provide high quality, accredited microbiological and serological analytical testing services across all aspects of poultry (including bird production and routine hatchery and factory and hygiene monitoring) and porcine production.
– Sci-Tech (Ireland) based at Dungannon, County Tyrone, this business is a relatively new Avian Serology Laboratory which opened in August 2011 and offers a valuable support service to poultry vets and poultry producers across the UK and Ireland with a range of services including avian serology, PCR and water testing.
– Enitial is a leading independent provider of emission and pollution monitoring, control and management services located throughout the UK. Its environmental monitoring and sampling activities cover gas, landfill gas, surface water level, flow and quality, groundwater level, recharge and quality, noise, air quality, soil contamination and effluent.
– Mambo-Tox was established in 1984 at Southampton University Science Park as a contract research organisation specialising in terrestrial ecotoxicology studies (principally involving non-target arthropods, honeybees and soil invertebrates) and also undertakes a wide range of specialist studies to evaluate the efficacy of agrochemical and biocide products.