ADBA coordinates industry-wide outreach for GGSS mid-scheme review
The Mid-Scheme Review of the Green Gas Support Scheme was launched on 23 March 2023 by the Department for Energy Security and Net Zero (DESNZ). The consultation will run for eight weeks, addressing a number of items including the waste threshold, digestate mitigation technologies, CHP conversion, methane leakage, sustainability criteria under the GGSS guidance and an opportunity to propose the direction of post-GGSS support.
In March 2021, the government committed to conducting a mid-scheme review of the GGSS in its response to the Future Support for Low Carbon Heat & The Green Gas Levy. This Mid-Scheme Review seeks stakeholder views on multiple proposals including the scheme’s close date, tariff guarantee and commissioning deadlines, and waste feedstock threshold among others.
Proposals in brief are;
- Extending the GGSS closure date to 31 March 2026
- Maintaining current tariff guarantee deadlines
- Maintaining current commissioning deadlines
- Maintaining the current waste feedstock threshold
- Maintaining GGSS regulations around digestate mitigation requirements
- Maintaining the eligibility criteria of the GGSS to exclude CHP plant conversions to biomethane injection
- Amending regulations related to heat deductions to eligible biomethane to exempt heat produced from heat pumps.
The Review further calls for evidence on;
- Methane leakage monitoring and mitigation practices to understand the GHG emission savings associated with AD and biomethane and to incentivise sustainable production practices
- Options for a post-GGSS policy framework for biomethane
ADBA is coordinating an industry-wide outreach to gather evidence and coordinate our response to the Review. This outreach consists an anonymised survey and an opportunity to chat with our policy team 1:1 via email or through another preferred method of communication.
GGSS Mid-Scheme Review Briefing Note
Our analyst team has prepared a comprehensive briefing note that will give you an overview of the contents of the mid-scheme review. You can download the note below.
If you have any questions or would like to provide feedback and raise your concerns regarding the Green Gas Support Scheme, please email email@example.com_GGSS Mid scheme Review Members Brief